Orbx has today announced the development of a new scenery package for AeroFly FS2, it’s for the legendary airport of Meigs Field!
In a post to the Orbx forums, Orbx CEO John Venema wrote: “Flight simulation has been intertwined with the legendary Meigs Field for decades. Few airports hold as much nostalgia, familiarity, and emotion for aviation enthusiasts.
Located on the shores of Lake Michigan, Meigs Field operated as the gateway to corporate Chicago for over half a century. Now, twelve years after its closure, Merrill C. Meigs Field (KCGX) has been recreated by Orbx and IPACS with the utmost attention to detail and accuracy.
Depicted as it was in its final years, virtual pilots are welcomed to return to what was once the busiest single strip airport in the United States and enjoy it in high definition. Featuring a fully modelled terminal, highly detailed static aircraft, and other historically accurate elements, the airport has been brought back to life.
In addition to the airfield itself, the city of Chicago waterfront and parks district have been included as well. This special release for Aerofly by Orbx includes 12,000km2 of photoreal coverage, animated people and ferris wheel plus many other details to discover.”
Along with this announcement, a set of previews have been released showing off the scenery. The second screenshot might look familiar to some people, it was the first shot that Orbx released showing their developments for AeroFly FS2 back in December.
- An astonishing 12,000km2 of photoreal imagery!
- Faithful port of the ultra detailed rendition of KCGX Meigs Field circa late 90’s and early 2000’s by Alex Goff and Tim Harris
- Extraordinarily detailed interior model of the terminal including glass, transparencies, fully faithful to FSX/P3D versions
- Many highly detailed Chicago landmarks, including Soldier Field, Cloudgate, Adler Planetarium, Navy Pier and The Shedd
- Custom CBD for Chicago skyline including Sears Tower, Aeon Center, Trump Tower, Hancock Center
- Hundreds of thousands of autogen buildings accurately placed
- Advanced rendering, ambient occlusion and night-lighting
- Airport imagery at 30cm per pixel
- Beautifully modelled static aircraft
- Animated people and ferris wheel
- Unbelievable performance, very high FPS
- Incredible VR experience
- A collaboration between Orbx and IPACS